Ok, first things first…I don’t claim to be an SEO expert (not today at least). But I do claim to have been trained by some of the best in the world. In a forum that I participate in I recently came across a post where an individual was claiming to be an SEO Professional. I am not calling this indivual out, so I will not be giving any details, other than the fact that there are a number of companies who claim to be SEO Professionals.
Why do people use the phrase Professional or Expert so freely?
Within 5 minutes of looking through the website that was in his signature file, I picked out a number of things that were wrong.
- The title tags on each page were exaclty the same- If you are claiming to be an SEO expert, don’t you think that you would have figured out what the most important part of your website as far as search is concerned???
- The website is nowhere to be found for the main search phrase
- No Page Rank– which is not key to ranking and truthfully not crucial to your website, but still, where are the links and the Google love?
- No internal linking structure strategy
- No real content throughout the site
Ok my 5 minutes are up…Need I say more. So where do they come up with the title “SEO Expert”? My personal opinion (Which could be wrong), is that they are doing something in the backend that is tricky to the search engines, which might work for a short period of time, but has no real long term business model in mind. They might have gotten it to work once upon a time…
So when you are looking for an SEO Expert be sure to do at least a little homework. Here are a few things that you need to find out:
- How they plan to do the SEO on your website- There shouldn’t be any secret to it. Once the agreement has been set up, a good SEO company will have you involved every step of the way.
- What results have they had for other clients?
- Talk to their clients- Find out how happy they have been with their services.
- Talk with other professionals in the field- In the SEO world the best companies communicate. They have great relationships and share notes.
Good luck in your future endeavors…and if you are in search of a good SEO company my personal recommendations would obviously be Fresh EGG!